Pressure on Boys
Installation, SAVVY Contemporary, 10.1.2019 – 1.2.2019
Pressure on Boys is an installation by Markues examining the pressure society exerts on boys. To highlight the collectivity and polyphony of boyhood, the installation can only be viewed and perceived in the presence of a public reading that warms up the space. As the readings unfold, so do associations that broaden the idea of what boyhood could be.
For Markues, boyhood is not a biological concept but a collective and diverse experience encompassing the different boyhoods of heterosexual and homosexual cis-men, the childhoods of transgender women and non-binary people, the late puberty of transgender men, and also the fetishized boyhood of the twink. In Pressure on Boys, these diverse boyhoods become tangible to and shareable by the viewer.
- 10. January Magnus Rosengarten reads Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin
- 12. January Heike-Karin Föll and Markues read In Youth Is Pleasure by Denton Welch
- 13. January Pia Chakraverti-Wuerthwein reads Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie
- 19. January Alex-Alvina Chamberland reads A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
- 20. January Ulf Aminde reads Jugend auf der Landstraße Berlin by Ernst Haffner
- 26. January Ahmet Sitki Demir reads Binali and Temir by Murathan Mungan
- 27. January Xiaoshi Vivian Vivian Qin reads Boys’ Love Stories
- 30. January Thomas Love reads Dhalgren by Samuel Delany
- 31. January Sarah Diehl reads Vita Violenta by Pier Paolo Pasolini
- 1. February Bonaventure Soh Bejeng Ndikung reads Kumakanda by Kayo Chingonyi and If They Come For Us by Fatimah Asghar
Pressure on Boys is part of the exhibition ECOLOGIES OF DARKNESS. BUILDING GROUNDS ON SHIFTING SANDS curated by Elena Agudio, Nathalie Mba Bikoro, and Federica Bueti.