Pressure on Boys
Installation, SAVVY Contemporary, 10.01.2019 – 01.02.2019
Pressure on Boys is an installation by Markues examining the pressure society exerts on boys. To highlight the collectivity and polyphony of boyhood, the installation can only be viewed and perceived in the presence of a public reading that warms up the space. As the readings unfold, so do associations that broaden the idea of what boyhood could be.
For Markues, boyhood is not a biological concept but a collective and diverse experience encompassing the different boyhoods of heterosexual and homosexual cis-men, the childhoods of transgender women and non-binary people, the late puberty of transgender men, and also the fetishized boyhood of the twink. In Pressure on Boys, these diverse boyhoods become tangible to and shareable by the viewer.
- 10. January Magnus Rosengarten reads James Baldwin Go Tell It on the Mountain
- 12. January Heike-Karin Föll and Markues read Denton Welch In Youth Is Pleasure
- 13. January Pia Chakraverti-Wuerthwein reads Salman Rushdie Haroun and the Sea of Stories
- 19. January Alex-Alvina Chamberland reads Ursula K. Le Guin A Wizard of Earthsea
- 20. January Ulf Aminde reads Ernst Haffner Jugend auf der Landstraße Berlin
- 26. January Ahmet Sitki Demir reads Murathan Mungan Binali and Temir
- 27. January Xiaoshi Vivian Vivian Qin reads Boys’ Love Stories
- 30. January Thomas Love reads Samuel Delany Dhalgren
- 31. January Sarah Diehl reads Pier Paolo Pasolini Vita Violenta
- 01. February Bonaventure Soh Bejeng Ndikung reads Kayo Chingonyi Kumakanda and Fatimah Asghar If They Come For Us
Pressure on Boys is part of the exhibition ECOLOGIES OF DARKNESS. BUILDING GROUNDS ON SHIFTING SANDS curated by Elena Agudio, Nathalie Mba Bikoro, and Federica Bueti.